Line to Masses

Dating myself back to when I was a student in the medical illustration program; pen and ink was the technique to master.


This was primarily because the printing costs of medical text books were much more economical in black and white as opposed to full color. Once the technology and printing costs came together, full color publishing was the market to meet. So, our techniques for illustration moved to watercolor, gauche, and acrylic. With that technique we changed our thinking to mass verses line rendering.

Now as I paint in oil I look at the masses, which changed the way I sketch as well. Concentrating on the masses of tone; lights and darks. Underpainting with one earth tone color the shapes and the light patterns. This painting has such an underpainting in raw umber.

Red On Red
16" X 20"


Popular posts from this blog

Blue Period

Leonardo da Vinci - Drawings of Inventions

Leonardo da Vinci - Drawings