Sandhill Cranes

The subject matter of my paintings almost always include water and sky in some composition. Birds have been more an important part of my paintings mainly because they seems to natural fit so well. They are such a wonderful species. So fascinating to observe. They have such beautiful feather colors and patterns. I can’t say that I am an ornithologist but, I find myself picking up the binoculars and snapping photos on a more regular basis.

'Rest',  Oil,  24" X 20"





Here is a bit about the subjects of this latest painting, Sandhill Cranes.They mate for life, after going through an elaborate dancing display of stretched wings with pumping heads and leaping into the air. They usually nest in wetlands, feeding on the vegetation growing in standing water. The clutch size is 1-3 eggs, usually only one nestling typically survives to fledged. The crane is a symbol in Japan of longevity and good luck because it was thought to have a life span of a thousand years.





Popular posts from this blog

Blue Period

Leonardo da Vinci - Drawings of Inventions

Leonardo da Vinci - Drawings