Tonalism

That artist style of 'Tonalism', I have a certain fascination with. The out of focus and minimal detail lends more to the imagination. That bit of mystery draws in the viewer. In a more current painting I have been working on below; I was thinking of tonalism. Not sure it falls in the category but, the influence is there. My colors are more muted. This is actually a make-over from an earlier version of the same scene. I was not happy with the sky colors and rendering. The other area that bothered me was the foreground, so I added greater detail. The barn took on some patina on the roof. What I found to be the most challenging was the silohette of the bush on the left against the brightest part of the sky. The painting has been put aside for later evaluation.

'Skies Proclaim'
12" X 16"  Oil on panel


Now take a look at the master tonalists work.



By James McNeill Whistler


By James McNeill Whistler


By George Inness


By George Inness


By George Inness


Popular posts from this blog

Blue Period

Leonardo da Vinci - Drawings of Inventions

Leonardo da Vinci - Drawings