Caravaggio


Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio
Caravaggio's novelty was a radical naturalism that combined close physical observation with a dramatic, even theatrical, use of chiaroscuro. This came to be known as Tenebrism, the shift from light to dark with little intermediate value. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)


Conversion of Saint Paul, 1601, Cerasi Chapel, Santa Maria del Popolo, Rome.

When living in Rome, I recall going around to the various churches to see these wonderful works.
They were tucked into the various dark side chapels within the church.
All you had to do was place a coin into the light machine for the lights to come on for a few minutes to view the painting.

With my current painting on the easel, I am going to try a bit of the chiaroscuro. I can at least give it a go. Perhaps I will learn something. Stay tuned for my next blog to revel the work in progress.

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Period

Leonardo da Vinci - Drawings of Inventions

Leonardo da Vinci - Drawings